If you are thinking of selling, refinancing, or just want to get an idea of what your home is worth, you have many options. Most people these days like to do things themselves, since there is so much information available at our fingertips online. There are also some great real estate sites and many local brokerage sites, so there are multiple ways to access the information. But you need to be careful, as what you get on some of those sites may be inaccurate, especially in today’s market.
Sites like Zillow and Trulia provide easy access to recent sales, and even provide estimates for the value of your home. Some things they may not take into consideration are:
- The condition of your home and comparable sold properties
- Additions – sometimes these take a long time to show up in the public records, which could alter the valuation of your home
- Very recent sales (closed in the last few days)
- Pending sales that are about to close escrow (as they will have an effect on your sales price should you decide to sell)
- Whether or not your property is distressed or other recent sales were distressed
- Inside knowledge about other homes that may have just gone into escrow or appraised
- Other factors. There may be other factors that can affect your sales price, such as information displayed in the confidential remarks on sold properties (that only licensed agents can see) that provide details – for example, commissions may have been reduced, sellers may have reduced the sales price due to expensive necessary repairs, or other factors could have affected the sales price. Also, there may be information about construction in the surrounding area that can affect sales prices in the future (freeway extensions, plans for new shopping centers, Or there could be issues with the condition of the home that sold.
All of these details are important in analyzing your home and making sure you get the correct information. Thus it is very important that you consult a local area real estate broker or agent to provide you with a specific and detailed market analysis.
There are many things we can do ourselves these days online, but if you are considering selling make sure you get the right information so that you can make an informed decision. I have 25+ years in the real estate market and I am here to help you, and I do NOT charge for a detailed market analysis. Call me today and together we will make sure we have all the pertinent information before making any major decisions.
We have ONE goal, to SELL your property!
Lynn Kronk – 256-226-3099